OCCUPIED BY THE CROWN
In 1887, the Hotel Victoria was built at number 8 - a first-class hotel that operated right up until the 1940s, when it was requisitioned by the War Office and occupied by the Crown. The doors of 8 Northumberland Avenue remained closed to the public for 70 years. In 2009, a near-derelict building was inherited from the Ministry Of Defence. It took a year of major refurbishment to restore the building to its former grand Victorian style. The multi-million pound restoration was completed on time and on budget. The doors of 8 Northumberland Avenue were once again open to the public in the spring of 2010.